Reason Patient was referred: Patient contacted Slp secondary to his interest in NMES (neuromuscular electrical stimulation) secondary to the fact that patient had a benign meningioma is on Ensure as his main source of supplement refused alternative nutrition at the time when he was asked secondary to physician wanted to place NG vs Peg Tube, he was not explained about a peg tube at the time. Patient wants to eat again his thoughts about a good corn beef sandwich is on his mind.
Diagnosis and History: 70 year old with Oral Pharyngeal Dysphagia and PMHX remarkable for: Hypertension, Hypothyroidism, Urinary retention, Prostate cancer.
Synthroid Atenolol Symvastatin Amlodippine Tab (Norvasc) LisinoprilI chydrocodon-Acetaminophen ACCU-CHEK Calcium Citrate+B Complex vitamins Enteric Aspirin
Modified Barium results: 12-1-2010 results are as follows: no significant penetration or aspiration with supraglottic swallow however without this maneuver and with larger volumes thins and peaches were aspirated, noted decreased laryngeal excursion and epiglottic eversion. Cervical minimal degenerative changes.
- Patient initially only took ensure and took an 1hr to get it down
- 1cup of food took an 1hr or longer to eat
- Pulsox noted that pt was holding his breath while eating for longer periods
- Patient had 43 vital Stim sessions
- 3 Dilatations
- FOIS scale 4 to 6 minimal restriction
- Time in which patient consumed meal 20-30min
- Pulsox consistent no effortful breath holding while eating
- Some minimal sticking on occasion